Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Engagement Anniversary

Sat. April 3, 1937--
Jim's Journal reads:


"In the afternoon Elder Bryson and I went to No. Shields to administer to a Mrs. Humell who has been ill for some time. We had our tea at her home. When we are calling on people, administering to them there is a different feeling in our work. . . Gwen and I have been engaged for one year now. Last year on this same date, we went to see "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine" and after we returned home I gave her a ring. We declared our love for each other, our undying affections, and then separated."

Gwen's Letter, also dated Sat. April 3, 1937, reads:


"Darling,
Your letters get better and better all the time. I thought nothing could equal that 16 page one but your last, even though it was short was so sweet and so much like you used to be that it's almost worn out because I've read it over so much. You promised me a real love letter and truly it was about the grandest love letter you've ever written me and the surprise of receiving it in the middle of the week just made it perfect. . . I hope that someday in about two years your dream of the creek and pine trees and us will come true and that you will put your arms around me and say honestly, 'Gwen dear, I love you' . . . I couldn't help but write you to-day because it's such a special day to me. Please don't think I'm foolish, but I just seem to remember a year ago about this same time--well let's see I guess about two hours later than right now and you turned out the lamp and put a beautiful symbol of our love on my finger. You know I don't believe I ever did tell you how much I like 'our' diamond. . .

"Now before the monotony send you entirely to sleep I'll stop and say,
Goodnight Sweetheart
Til we meet to-morrow
With lots of love and a big X O,
Gwen"

2 comments:

  1. Grandma and grandpa are the perfect example of what love really should be about. I love the part when grandpa said, "We declared our love for each other, our undying affections, and then separated."

    They are cute for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they both wrote about the anniversary of their engagement. Grandma probably didn't think that he remembered ... but he did! How romantic!

    ReplyDelete