Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Traveling to London for a Mission Conference and Coronation

Jim's Journal, Sat. May 8, 1937, So Shields to Sheffield

"We were up and around early this morning. . .prior to our departure for London. Elder Stephens prayed, and then we departed in pairs. Elders Brown and Blanch. Elders Stephens, Bryson and I. . . We traveled out of Goteshead on the highway. . . We were now on the Great North Road bound for London and the Coronation. We rated another ride a little way, and then one on a truck to Darlington. . . In Darlington a truck took Stephens to Leeds, Bryson left to go to York, and Blanch and Brown paired off, leaving me alone. I walked out to the open road and rated a ride of about 8 miles to Cottruck. Then a walk of two hundred yards and another ride put me to Domcaster. Out of Domcaster I headed for Sheffield and was taken there in a newspaper truck. . . I have made about 150 miles today. Tired.

Sun. May 9, 1937, Sheffield to Leicester.

" . . .I made my way out of Sheffield at nine o'clock, walking out on to the road toward Derby. Getting a ride was terrible this day . . . rated a ride into Derby. I searched out Miss Elizabeth Brown at 62 Malcolm Street and visited with Gwen's Mother's aunt. She accepted me very graciously and gave me a nice lunch. From Derby I walked a greater distance to Nottingham but ended up on the bus. It had started to rain and it was hard traveling. . .I took the bus to Leicester. . . Today I have traveled about 50 miles. It is hard this type of travel, but I feel that it is saving money, and making it easier for the folks at home."

Mon. May 10, 1937. Leicester to London

"I was up, dressed and had eaten my breakfast and on my way at eight thirty A.M. . . .I took a trolley out of the city onto the road that lead to London . . . I walked about one fourth of a mile and then made a ride in a truck to Northampton. When I arrived in Northampton, a shoe manufacturing center, it was noon, so I had some fruit for lunch, walked out to where the roads forked and was offered a ride as far as Croyden if I cared to go. I chose to go to Windsor and after a four hour ride passing through some beautiful country, and some nice little cities we arrived in Windsor. It was here I saw Eton College, Windsor Castle, King Geo. V. memorial, and the Thames River, and [the] dock from which the King takes his rides down the river. I saw Windsor then made my way into London via Slough. A 'cockney' brought me in. . . I was the last of the Newcastle boys to arrive. . . I made about 100 miles journey today, saw some beautiful country and now am glad to lay down to sleep. But oh look what we have to sleep on: a sack filled with straw, covered by an army blanket, and two blankets to cover us with. But I could sleep on the soft side of a rock. And so I did."

No comments:

Post a Comment