Friday, May 7, 2010

Missionary Work, Laughs, and the Rain in England

Jim's Journal
Fri. April 9, 1937 --So. Shields


"Friday is Millenial Star day. We read the Star and don't go tracting. We went down town and back again to have lunch and study for a talk tonight. Elder Stephens and I went to our bath today and then played ball in the park. After tea we held a street meeting in the Square. They are fine for practice, but we don't seem able to attract a crowd. Some old drunk kept interrupting which only added a little spice to the program. . . this is a fair example of what my days in the mission field are."

Wed. April 14, 1937. So. Shields


"This morning we met as usual and instead of a meeting we had a gathering that wouldn't rate as a good social. Stephens tried to accompany us on a harmonica while we sang 'Oh My Father.' That started us all to laughing, so Derbyshire called the meeting.


. . .In the afternoon Gwen's picture arrived and gee it's a honey. In a nice gold frame and as nice as she is herself. I'm proud of it."

Friday, April 16, 1937. So. Shields--

"Rain--rain--rain and more rain. All it ever does in this confounded country is rain. All day and then all night. We can't do a thing because of rain and I am so tired of doing nothing I could bawl."

Jim darning his socks

April 18, 1937--A letter from Gwen reads:

"Darling,
Just think three more days and it will be exactly three months since I kissed you last and then only 21 months to go but I'll bet you a malt you'll make it 27 months to go if you learn to love England as you seem to have done already, but Jim dear, it's worth it isn't it. I'm so glad for you that you are enjoying such a wonderful experience. I guess I am a little jealous though. I wish I were having the same experiences. . . You flatter me when you say you are doing all this for me. I like it though. You understand how blondes are. I guess next best to filling a mission oneself is to have someone you love fill one for you.

". . . Kid, those were surely grand pictures your folks received. . . And say those things you sent your dad just put him sky high in glory.

" . . . Say Jim, how fat are you now? Have you lost any hair? How many towns have you been kicked out of? Say what do you look like anyhow[?] I've forgotten it's been so long since I had a good look at you

"About the Municipal swimming party it was sort of a bachelor girls affair so don't be worrying about who we were with because Maxine, Elizabeth, Bernice and about 3 other girls and I had a swell time all by our lonesomes. In fact, Jim you don't need to worry about me very much but I don't want you to take me for granted ever.

"Well, Jim dear it's almost the 'wee' hours so I must stop now . . .Be good sweetheart and love me as I love you because I do tell you the truth for I have nothing to conceal and I hope you'll tell me the truth also even if it's not so easy to take.

Love, Gwen"

No comments:

Post a Comment