Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Turkey Burglar Alarm Systems? . . . and Gwen's Driving


Jim's Journal dated April 26, 1937:

". . . In the afternoon we went to Durham to see the Cathedral. It is a beautiful ancient place, built in 1100, and is now very antique . . . today was Dad's 53rd birthday."

Picture: Charlotte and Robert Telford (Jim's Parents)

From Gwen's Letter dated the same day:

"Dearest Jim,
Remember our burglar alarm system for the turkeys? Well I've just decided that was a pretty smart idea of yours and I've even decided it's better than the professional alarms, but why am I raving on about burglar alarms when there are so many more important things for you and me to talk about, anyway I'm about fed up on burglar alarms that aren't for turkeys because for the last month some men from California have been installing one in the Utah Woolen Mills and I believe they need some one like you to explain how it's done. . . I had to practically tie myself down to keep from explaining to him how the Wagstaff Telford corporation would do it. From this you can see how often I'm thinking of you. No matter what happens in some way or other it seems to remind me of the time when you and I did the same thing or went to the same place. . . Do you like to think about them as much as I do?

". . . Well your dad is fining our place so the trees will not be in danger when I drive. He's cutting down all the big poplars out in front. Your dad sure seems to know how it's done. As for it helping my driving. I'm really proud of my growing ability to miss telephone polls and mailboxes. No fooling, Jim, I'm really getting better. I told Dad my aim is to be as good a driver as you by the time you come home. . .

". . . Should I plan to meet you in New York on your way home? Boy I surely want to go someplace out of Utah besides Wyoming. Should I make it New York? I'd love to but . . . we've still got 2 years (almost) to think about it so why worry.

"Last night your mom was talking to my mom and me about you. . . . If you want to see some real honest to goodness beaming you should see her when she talks about her Jimmie and my Jimmie. . . She said that Harry Grumberg came in for some cleaning the other day and asked if she were Jimmie's mother. Then he told her that if any fellow in the ward ever deserved to go on a mission it was you.

". . .P.S. I see by the papers that Pres. Cannon is being released and that Newcastle won in the football game."

No comments:

Post a Comment