Wednesday, April 28, 2010

England's Chef's and the Food

Jim's Journal Entry, Tues, Mar 9, 1937--

"After a discussion on the Gospel we went out to gather in some food. We are batchelors [sic] now. We laid in what we believe will last for the next week. We cooked our first meal in the lodge for lunch. It was a swell meal, and it was also fun to cook it."

Sat. Mar 20, 1937--

"We had our usual meeting to begin the new day and song practice for the quartette[sic]. Elder Stephens and I, of necessity, fasted this morning, we have no food in. I am feeling fine--gaining weight every week. . . Letters came today from Miller, Gwen, and Dad."

Mar 20, 1937--Gwen's Letter included,

"Right now before we go any farther let's stop and decide a very serious problem. You say that this very important bet between you and Mr. Brown will be lost for you if I stick with you. Is that right? In other words you don't get the candy unless I'll be good enough to stop writing. What kind of candy will it be? Is it really worth all that? If I promise to let you win that box of candy would you send me some. .? I've heard though that English candy isn't so good anyway . . .What is this food which makes people gain nine pounds over night? I have a mental picture of you in two years from now. Look and I'll show you.




"Well I could even forgive that as long as you won't lose your hair. . .







"Well kid I've got to close now so please be happy and love me as I love you.
Your Sincere Sweetheart,
Gwen

" 'Patience is bitter but its fruit sweet' --Rousseau"

No comments:

Post a Comment