Saturday, April 10, 2010

Missing Letters and Valentine's



"Feb 13&14--Best wishes for a happy birthday, 'My Valentine.' May the coming years be as nice to you as the past. Love and Regards, as ever, Jim "






Feb. 14, 1937
--Jim's journal entry concludes stating, "Today was the first Valentines day Gwen has not given me a Valentine since we have been keeping company."


Gwen's Letter, Feb 15, 1937
--
"Dear Jim,
"I've decided that you are either down with one of the Jones boys (Davey or Paul) at the bottom of the ocean or else an English mermaid has you all ready. Anyway, if I don't get a letter soon I'll _______ ___________ ________ ___________!! Well you just imagine the rest. I believe though that I was wrong about the Jones guess because we read in the Telegram and the news that the SS Manhattan with Mr. Wm J. Telford aboard landed safely in Plymouth Feb. 2. Your father also read about the SS Manhattan and the SS Rex being called to rescue a ship in distress but after they turned from their course the distressed ship wired she was safe.. . .
"I had a dream about you the other night Jim, but I won't tell it now. Anyway, I'm very anxious to hear from you. My goodness at this rate I'll get a letter once a month. Anyway even though I think you're a piker I'm still thinking of you and hope you're feeling fine. Please take care of yourself and write me if your care to.
"Even with an ocean between, Jim I still love you as ever. Sincerely, Gwen"

Feb 19, 1937
, Jim's journal entry ends with, "I am plenty sore at Gwen, if it does any good, but have hopes for better days."

Gwen's Letter, Feb 21, 1937
--
"Darling,
"To-day is almost past and with it has gone one month of our separation already and I want to tell you from down deep in my heart Jim, that I'm proud of you, proud to be wearing the ring of a clean worthy missionary and Jim dear one month away from you has made me love you more even than I did before. I am counting the months until we'll be to-gether again and I think about you always and pray for your way over there. . . Jim dearest, if I could just be with you now for a few minutes and could talk confidentially and hold you close it would be wonderful. I know you're having a tough time now for a while Jim. They all do but keep that chin out and show what I know you're really made of and no one or nothing can lick you especially with "Him" on your side.
" . . .Jim, I was disappointed in my last letter because I hadn't heard from you and I hope my last letter wasn't a wet blanket because of my disappointment. . . .Tuesday I received your letters just before mutual and boy was I thrilled. Your mom and dad got theirs that same day and they were just as thrilled.
". . .How are your 6 roommates. Please tell me all about your districts . . .Tell me more about England and the people and what you do, feel and think.
"Goodnight, Sweetheart, and keep your chin up. I'm with you every minute too, with loads of love and sincere devotion, Gwen"

No comments:

Post a Comment