Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Work, Assignments, and Homesickness

February 3, 1937. London England.
". . .We went to the mission office and were interviewed by Pres. Cannon, asked where we would like to labor and what we could do. . . We were put in a lodge close to the mission office, where they have no fires, no running water or any modern conveniences. Everything is old.

Feb 4 - ". . .At noon we were interviewed by Pres. Cannon again and given our assignments. . . .Brown and I to Newcastle. We were then taken around London seeing St. Paul's, Big Ben, Parliament, Westminister Abbey, Picaddilly, Trafalgar, Fleet Street, Bank of England and many other landmarks of England history.

Fri. Feb 5- "We had a testimony meeting. . .We then went to make our trunks ready to send to Newcastle. . . At three we were on our way to Kings Cross station and at four we were aboard a fast train headed for Newcastle. . .Over and through rolling and beautiful country on a real fast train we went. . .We arrived in Newcastle at 10:20 pm. . . England never, give me the good old U.S.A. for real comfort and security."



Jim with some of the other missionaries in England


Sat. Feb 6, 1937. Newcastle.
"Today I had my first tracting experience from door to door in the mission field. Elders Brown, Bryson, Robinson and myself sold Millenial Stars. I was lucky and sold two Stars on the first day. After that we went to the rooms. I was and am very lonely for home and friends. Home never meant so much to me as it does now. In the afternoon I wrote letters to Gwen and Dot [Dorothy Bishop] . . . Was glad when it was bed time."

No comments:

Post a Comment