Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Gwen's First Letter

January 31, [1937]

"Dearest Jim,

"It's Sunday about 2 o'clock and almost time for the home cooked dinner and . . . I must have a bit of a word with a blarney old Englishman. How does it feel anyway Jim? I hope you aren't wearing spats, and a monikle (?) and saying "Cheerio old dear" to all the sweet little lassies. Anyway you're kind of a dear old Englishman and I want to tell you how thrilled I was to get that beautiful pillow top and card from Niagara. . .

"I really am not bored at your telling me all about your trip because I'm following right along even though my mode of travel isn't quite so thrilling but I had fun drawing from city to city,. . .

"Say you should see your family when they get a letter or a card. Their faces light up like sunbeams. When I showed them your first card, boy were they tickled. Jim you'd be proud if you could be there and hear how proud they all are of you. You mustn't say anything back to them about this and promise you won't go high hat and big head on us, but I know you're deeper than that so here goes. Your dad said, 'I'm not saying this because Jimmie's my son but I'd be willing to bet any amount that he'll be a wonderful missionary. He has the real spirit and I know he'll make a wonderful preacher.' Your mother chimed in with 'Yes Jim surely had a life to be as proud of as any other missionary.'

". . .I'm glad you're feeling so good. I knew you'd never be sorry you left and you are having such a wonderful experience. You say this has opened your eyes to what others are doing. It's done the same thing for me Jim. I've just been living within myself for so long. We really weren't thinking of others much were we?

". . .I know these kisses and hugs aren't nearly as nice as real ones. I'm sending them to you. If you don't want them send them into the ocean.

"Please write and tell me all about it Jim, dear and remember I love you as ever and I like your letters very much.

Goodnight Sweetheart.
Love, Gwen"

No comments:

Post a Comment