Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Facing Challenges and Discouragement

From a conversation on April 2, 2010--Jim explained:

"When I was set apart as a missionary by Elder Melvin J. Ballard, he asked first for my name. I had such a hard time saying 'William' [because of stuttering] that when he laid his hands on my head, he set me apart as a missionary and then promised me that I would be able to speak and bear my testimony clearly to the saints in England."

From Gwen's letter, March 1, 1937:

". . . Jim, sweetheart, I know you won't say no to an opportunity because you aren't a coward. Don't make it too hard on yourself though at first, dear, because you can't accomplish everything in a day but a little each day.

". . .I have a very strong feeling Jim, that your trouble now is all part of the great plan. Look ahead two years and see yourself standing before these same people. . . I believe these people admire you now for bringing them a message such as you are even in the face of obstacles and I believe firmly they'll believe even stronger when they hear you again later on, when this gradual change has made you able to tell them as freely as you write me. I'm not just saying this Jim. Your going away has made me kneel down many times and pray earnestly for you and us and Jim I truly believe it is giving me a testimony. I believe your Patriarchal blessing and I believe your blessing Apostle Ballard gave you. It will be fulfilled Jim, darling. Work, pray and have patience and know that you're doing right and therefore you are doing more good than you realize."

Later in life, when Gwen was asked to write down a "time when God answered a specific prayer," she wrote:

"When I prayed that Jim would be able to speak without a stammer. Heavenly Father answered, 'Yes'"
(Entry from, Reflections from a Mother's Heart, 1998).

At the end of the conversation on April 2, 2010, Gwen added:

"Do you know what he did to be able to speak without the stammering? He'd go down to the wharf and talk into the wind. That's what healed it. It was a miracle."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for telling this part of the story mom. I actually really needed to hear this right now :)

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete