Thursday, April 5, 2012

Memorial Day Bouquets and Souvenirs


From Gwen’s letter, May 30, 1938:

“Sweetheart,                                                                                                                     This is Memorial Day and the biggest memory I have is of you, so I’m going to write you a letter & in it I send a beautiful bouquet of roses. In the middle is a dark red one to tell you my love for you is as sincere and as deep as it always has been and always will be. Then there is a pure white rose to tell you my love for you is as pure and fresh as a white flower, a yellow rose in the blossoms means you are the sunshine I’m waiting for. There are also some forget-me-nots and orange blossoms. Put them altogether and you have a bouquet which says, Darling¸ I love you with all my heart and I need you here with me before I’ll be truly happy. . .

“.  .  . Your last letter was perfect, kid. I’ve read it over and over again and those handkerchiefs from Scotland were grand. Thanks so much. . . Now that I have so many handkerchiefs from England, Ireland, & Scotland, I believe I’ll start a collection of them. Don’t you think that would be fun?

One of the handkerchiefs Jim sent Gwen from Scotland
“. . . In answer to your question I say with all my heart, Jim dearest, I will marry you and now since your mission is almost complete the first of our dreams is fulfilled and the second one we planned was our marriage in the temple. Honey, that’s what I’ve been dreaming of ever since the first time you asked me.  . . Sweetheart, I never have gotten tired of hearing you propose. I love it and I’m only sorry you won’t keep on doing it after we’re married. . .

“. . . Kid, if I ever saw a giant in my life it was you standing by your aunt in Scotland. My goodness you looked like Goliath himself. My goodness, have you grown or is she just a small woman? Maybe I’ll retract that offer to beat you in a wrestling match when you come home. I’ll race you instead, huh?

“. . . I love you with all my heart and I hope I can be worthy of your sincere love.
Your  Sweetheart,
Gwen
May I send lots of XXXXOOOO.”

No comments:

Post a Comment