Friday, April 27, 2012

Baptisms. . .and "Lady Gwendolyn"


From Jim's letter, July 25, 1938, London, W.C.I.:

"My Only Sweetheart,

My word can you really and truly believe that it has been better than eighteen months since we said 'Good-bye' in the rail way station, and that it will only be seven more until we say 'Hello' in the same station. Truly Gwen the months are slipping away very rapidly, and it will be over so soon we will hardly know how to react to every thing. And now as the time grows shorter and shorter, I only tell you the truth when I say, I will be glad to be home again. Once I had in my mind an idea that I would like to stay over for awhile, but I think now I shall be quite ready to come home, on one condition of course. That is: You and I and our future. Lately I have been able to realize all over again, my darling, how much I really do care, and how much you mean to me. Purely and simply Gwen, I love you ever so much and I do anticipate and look forward to our being married.

". . .Today is a real beautiful English summer day, and from my window I can look out to and over the lovely green fields to where new mown hay lies in mounds ready to be taken and stored for future use. The farmers are really making hay while the sun shines over here, . . .

". . .Today, according to my calendar, is a real holiday out there in Zion. There will be a parade, a rodeo and a pageant of splendour that will be pleasing to the eye in a big way. But we over here will see none of that. Rather our work goes on in some manner of visits and a meeting and some form of study. You are having a holiday, and while we won't see it together from the window of Smots office, I am quite sure you will see it. Ninety-one years Salt Lake City has stood. Tell me something of what took place and how you spent the twenty-fourth.

"Last Wednesday evening we held our second baptismal service since I came into the district. There were only two candidates this time, a young man and woman from Shields and London. And at their request, I had the privilege and opportunity of taking them down into the waters of baptism. Elder Kearl and Elder Howard confirmed them. The young man was certainly thrilled and happy and so was the young lady. I certainly have been fortunate on my mission to have this, and they're fine opportunities. And if I can only have the privilege of performing a marriage ceremony, I'll certainly be satisfied, I should.

". . .darling, I want you to know that I appreciate your going in to see Mother and Dad. They certainly enjoy your visits and Gwen, they love you as their own. So you see that my own people look for our marriage as much as I do.

"Sir James" in quite the regal sweater
"You know Gwen, over here in England they have some rare and quaint ideas. Probably some of the quaintest in the world. And one of those is their manner of bestowing a title upon some man of renown. In a manner of speaking, I feel very much at home here, for somewhere in my life I gained a 'Sir James' that has hung on. Even over here they fasten it on some times. But each one of these 'Sirs' have to have a lady, and so from now on, 'Thou shalt be known as Lady Gwendolyn.' A royal title for a royal miss. But perhaps I should ask you, 'Will you be my lady?'

"After meeting last night we called on a fine lady out in Harton, and her son and [his] wife. So in the course of the evenings conversation, we drifted to marriage. The young lady is very happy in her married life, and even said she would do it again, if it were to the same man. (I hope you can say as much about me.) And she said it would be wonderful if they could go to the church every five years to have the service performed again. I could not help but think of your suggestion. For they do not have the privilege the same as we do. That of working for someone less fortunate than we, in the temples. In this work we can have what this girl would like to have. the service performed again.

". . .Now I must close and write to the folks. They still have to hear from me too. . .So here is my love to and for you.

All of it.

Sincerely, Your Sweetheart,

Jim"


No comments:

Post a Comment