Thursday, April 19, 2012

Anniversaries and Holidays without Jim

From Gwen's letter, June 19, 1938:

"Dearest Jim,
. . .Kid, you're so darn thoughtful. I could just cry I'm so happy to think that even as busy as I know you are you'd think to send those roses for June 19th. Your father brought them down to me before Sunday School and he gave me a very impressive and extravagant presentation address and then turned around and asked me what June 19th was besides Father's Day. Darling, you're grand to think of such things and I don't believe there are many men like you who remember anniversaries so well. You make anniversaries very nice occasions even when we can't be to-gether to celebrate them, but Sweetheart, next year, if luck is with us, we'll make up for two years of being apart won't we. Thanks so much for those grand roses. They're just beautiful."

From Gwen's letter, 4:30 A.M., July 4, 1938:
Gwen with friends "up the canyon."

"Sweetheart,

This is the first time I've written you a letter while dawn was just stealing in and while the birds were just waking up to start a noisy chatter all about their early household duties, and do you know it's wonderful at 4:00 in the morning- -I mean after you once drag yourself out and get props in your eyes. This morning I'm waiting for Berdine, May and Lee and their folks. We're going up the canyon for breakfast.



Gwen's mother (Vere) with Cec as a child
". . .Mother has been sick in bed for quite a while with the flu and Dad has been getting liver shots in his arm everyday. The doctor said he was dangerously anemic so between all of us this is a good hospital. Every night we doctor mother all up with hot foot baths and drinks and alcohol rubs and etc. I'm really learning a few things about cooking anyway. Dad and I have a riot with things which must be thickened because I invariably get too much thickening so he stands by with the milk to thin it so first I thicken then he thins then I thicken some more and so on and so on and on into the night. Usually we end up by having three times as much as we need but we have fun just the same.

". . .Jim, dear, let's do set June 19, 1939 as 'the' day providing neither of us changes and then let's just make it all work out right so our dreams will be realized.

". . .Do you know we have word from the great fashion center, Paris, that skirts are shorter this year, but I noticed your skirt in your most recent picture to me was considerably shorter than the average. You surely look like a healthy, happy Scot and what tartan does your family go by? I might suggest that your most modern hat was a bit extreme in the eyes of a conservative Westerner and your socks were rolled a little too far below the knees, but your smile was a charming beam which held your admirer spell bound. [see picture in 3/30/12 post]

". . .Yesterday, July 4th, Berdine and I had a good time talking and reminiscing in the canyon. Last night we went to-gether to see Marco Polo with Gary Cooper. . .These tall fellows who take the leads always remind me so much of you that I really live the picture.

". . . Cec and Kay said to tell you thanks so much for that lovely card. That was so nice of you to remember them. I'm sure they'll have smooth sailing because they're so much alike and they seem to have the same ideals and desires. Your mother told me once she thought you and I were a lot alike so I think we'll get along beautifully, don't you? I believe too that we're similar because we really do like the same things don't we.

". . .Well, darling, I've got to climb in now because I'm minus about ten hours sleep.
Days are going fast and they can't go too fast for me because my love for you is growing until it's becoming unmanageable.

"Your sweetheart sincerely,

Gwen"


No comments:

Post a Comment