Friday, April 13, 2012

A Letter from Home--with thoughts on Gwen

From a letter to Jim from his dad (Robert Telford), June 12, 1938:


"My Dear Son,
Robert Telford with Jim as a baby
 It's Sunday morning and I thought I had better write you before I get too tired. . . Two weeks ago I got quite a cold and while I have worked my five days a week I have had to go to bed as soon as I got home.

". . . I notice you are expecting a transfer soon. While you may not welcome it at the moment, I think it would be a fine thing for you. You have made many friends where you are and of course you have come to rely on all your friends and feel a sense of security among them. I think now that a change to conditions and places, where you will have to exercise initiative and assert yourself to make new friends and new plans, will greatly aid in your powers of self reliance and in complete development. So if you are transferred to another locality, be assured that it is for your ultimate good.

"Gwen has just come in. I think she has been to Sunday School. Mom and her are sitting chatting while I am writing these lines. For appearance and personality I see none who can beat her. Whatever she wears she looks like a million dollars. Her conduct and her personality suggest at once a real lady.

"Did you get to St. Bees[?] If you did how are all the folks there[?] I hope that you had time to visit all of them. They all want to see you. Tell me all about them when you write.

Robert Telford with Jim's brothers (Jack & Lenny)
"Working conditions keep getting worse. Three thousand men will be laid off at the Utah Copper in Bingham on the 16th. That is next Thursday. Mines and Smelters all around this western country are closing or are already closed down. Owners claim they have closed for thirty days. I think it will be longer. It seems to be a battle between capital and the government. . .

"I doubt whether you are going to keep out of war over there. It looks to me like it's only a matter of a few months or less until it breaks. I hope British statesmanship can find a way to avoid it. It seems doubtful.

"Well I must close. We are all fine and plugging along. Gwen and Berdine Jones have just left. Berdine played the piano and we all got around and sang. I do enjoy them coming in.

"Give my regards to all the folks over there and accept kindest thoughts for yourself. From yours affectionately,

Dad"

No comments:

Post a Comment