Friday, March 30, 2012

A Trip and a Visit to Scotland and Aunt Letty

From Jim's Letter, May 14, 1938:

"My Only Sweetheart--
     You're so darn good, thoughtful, and true, that even if I wanted to lose you, my sense of value would make me cling to the love which I have for you through anything of what we have had to face and conquer thus far through our individual lives.

" . . .Last week I wished you could have been with me where I was for it would certainly have made a glorious honeymoon. Pennock and I went up to Glasgow [Scotland] to attend the district conference, and we had a lovely time as well as a fine trip. England and Scotland are so beautiful at this time of the year that all a person wants to do is travel and look at the green rolling hills on one side, and the blue-green sea on the other. We had a boat trip down the river Clyde while we were in Glasgow and you would have marveled at how smooth the water was and how green the hills were. The sky blue reflecting in harmony with the green hills to make an incomparable sight that I shall never forget, as long as I live. . .

Jim in a Scottish Kilt
". . .While I was in Glasgow I stayed with another of my many aunts and uncles for two days. She was very interested in my coming here to England . . .She was very surprised when I let her see your picture, the one who I am engaged to be married to, and will return to marry. Aunt Letty, as she is called, is Mother's sister and boy did she treat me really and truly nice. So on my release she insists that I go and stay with her for a while before I go on home. Which, darling, leads us up to the tour on the continent. I have had very poor word from home, and rather than burden them too much, I hardly think I should even consider such a trip. True it would be very lovely and nice, but there is so much more to think about. And even after a release, a month with all of my people and then home will be pretty near April then. . .

". .  .Say, has it ever crossed your mind darling, that this time next year we will be together in all that we attempt to do. I only have 1/3 of my mission to complete and then I'll be on my way home again. And when I come, let's you and I, borrow a car and if I can still drive one, go up to Lamb's Canyon and there have a real chat of all we have done and want to do. I have so much to tell you Gwen, and show you, that we will need many days up there to make it complete. . .

". . . Sending you every particle of my love and wishing to ever be your sweetheart.

Loving you always,

I am

Your Sweetheart,

Jim

"May I leave you kisses? XXXXX Remember me, I'm the guy you gave your goodnight kisses to.  Love."
 
From Gwen’s letter, May 21, 1938:

“P.S. This girl who is interested in a trip on the continent will gladly loan you the money if you’ll write and tell her how much it will take and if you’ll promise not to let the loan influence your feelings or obligate you in the least.

“You say you’ll never understand me because I want you to have a trip on the continent instead of staying an extra year as a missionary . . . I’m thinking of the lesser of two lengths of time  . . . it is probably the only time you’ll ever have a chance  to see a large part of this old world and since you’re that near it would be a shame for you to miss the chance of a lifetime . . .Please write and tell me approximately how much you’ll need . . . and I believe it can be arranged if you’ll make the promise I asked you to make.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment