Thursday, March 8, 2012

Brotherly and Family Love

From Gwen's Letter, April 28, 1938:

"Darling,

I couldn't help thinking of you to-night at the Gleaner and M.Men banquet . . . That 'tall, dark & handsome' [young man] Max told you about is surely a sweet little brother. Of course, he's only about 6 foot 4, so I feel so much bigger than he is. I wish you could have seen him. He's been studying etiquette all week & he did right smart. He was a good sport about skipping the dance part of the evening so we went for a long ride to talk . . .
Telford Family a few years later (Lenny is far right on couch)

". . . He's a really swell kid, Jim, . . .I think he kind of likes you since he's so anxious for you to come home.

"To-morrow night he's going to the Granite High Girls' Dance, and he doesn't know what to wear or what to do. That all reminds me so much of so many girls' dances and all our good times.

". . . Lenny has already planned that he & his girl & you & I are going to the Old Mill. In fact, we four, he says, are just going to make up for all this lost time. He's so grown up, Jim, you just won't know him when you get home, but you'll be proud of him I know."

From Gwen's Letter, May 1, 1938:

"My Dearest Jim,

May first and eleven to go. Boy now we're really on the home stretch aren't we, honey, and I'm not one single bit sorry because I'm looking forward to seeing you so much.

".  . .The other night at the banquet I decided I'd let Lenny beat you at tennis for me because he tells me he's so good that all the girls are wild to have him teach them the game. Like me though, they'd probably learn faster if they'd get a teacher who wouldn't have to say 'Keep your eye on the ball.' Did you know that you was [sic] the secret of my failure because I couldn't get my eyes off you, my teacher, long enough to watch the ball? There I go feeding your ego and with all the other nourishment its probably getting I'll bet you'll burst with vanity huh?

The Wagstaff Family with Don (far left) and Cec (far right) next to Gwen
". . .You should have been here last Sunday and you'd surely have gotten a laugh out of Cec & Kay. Remember how Cec & Don used to burst in on us when we were saying goodnight--Well, Sunday Kay & Cec were in the front room reading the paper while I was in the kitchen writing you a letter. I got already then found I didn't have any ink, so I went in the dining room to get it and as I came through the door Kay jumped from a position on Cec's lap and in his arms to a very sedate paper-reading position. I guess she thinks I'm opposed to guys & girls about to be married sitting with their arms around each other, but anyway I surely had to laugh. She surely is grand though, Jim, I just can't wait until you meet her. I couldn't ask for any nicer sister-in-laws than I have & am to have. Kay is about my age too & I'll bet we could almost be like real sisters. Gee and how I've always wished for a real sister. When Cec leaves that will really leave our family small won't it. . .

". . .Darling, the more I think about it the more I think your idea to build an English house is a good idea. Then we could make it different from the usual American houses & you could still feel like you were in England, a little anyway, & I'd have my wish to know what England was like.

" . . .Now, honey, I've got to got to dinner. I love you always. . .

"So long Sweetheart,

XXXX  Gwen."

No comments:

Post a Comment