Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beachwear, Steamboat Rides, and a visit to St. Bees

From Gwen's Letter, May 7, 1938:

"Dearest Sweetheart,

The Newcastle District Elders. . .at the beach? (Jim 2nd from left)
I was so thrilled to finally receive some pictures of you that I've almost worn them out already I've looked at them so much. Darling, those pictures mean so much. Honestly I had almost forgotten how tall and dark and good looking you were and I think you are looking much happier, much more satisfied than I have seen you look for a long time and your 194 pounds hasn't made you too fat at all . . . You asked if I ever got that picture of your 'little bathing suit' and I did. And when you said 'little' you meant it. . . I still love to receive pictures of Jim in them . . ."


From Jim's Journal, Tues. May 10, 1938, Glasgow:

RMS Queen Elizabeth
 " . . . I shaved in cold water, Brrrr. Pennock and I with Sis Malmberg took a trip down the Clyde to Dunoon on a river steamer and saw all the boats they are building and the new Queen Elizabeth.  It was a lovely trip and we all enjoyed it very much. And so back to Glasgow on a train from Gaurock [sp?] . . . After lunch we started for home and ended up on the road to Edinburgh when we had started on the way to Carlisle. Three rides were needed to put us into Edinburgh . . . Another day."


From Jim's Letter to Gwen, Mon. May 23, 1938, London, W.C.I.:

"My Dearest Gwen,

. . . Yesterday was such a lovely Sunday here in Carlisle with the sun out and all, that we had to take a walk out in the fields, through the lanes and it was all so fine and lovely that I wanted you to be here with me. But you were so far away that all my wanting availed nothing and only made me want you more. It was all very much like Lambs Canyon and our rendezvous, and if I could only have reached out and taken you in my arms to kiss you and say again that I love you so much, I would have felt much better than I really did. Just one of those times when I love you so much it really hurts.

". . .We had two lady missionaries here last night and so had a lovely discussion from both sides of the water. From their side of the question they say a girl will wait, but an Elders ideas are altered so much he fails in his desires and ideals. . . A lady missionary wants in a husband, (1) spirituality, (2) personality, (3) ambition, (4) ideals. How do those qualities compare to you who have not been on missions? We had a lovely discussion, and finally they asked me how I felt about girls coming on missions. So I told them and now they are trying to convert me to the idea that they can do all an Elder can, except perform temporal and spiritual ordinances. But I'm still not convinced.

" . . . I am going to make this letter rather short this time as we are traveling again and we are ready to leave. Remember darling that all my love belongs to only one in this world and can never be rightly shared with anyone, and my one purpose and desire is to see that love culminate in a union of you and I.

"Love me always as I love you.
Sincerely, devotedly,
Your Sweetheart,
Jim"

From Jim's Journal, Tues. May 24, 1938, Egremont: 

"Looking toward the front of church [in St. Bees] where Mother & Dad were married"
"St. Bees Head fron the north side" (written on back)

"Lower Main St, St. Bees. Uncle Bill [Telford] in foreground"
"After dressing and eating we borrowed the bikes and rode over to St. Bees to see Aunt Rebecca and the Telfords. There we spent the day with them, before we returned to have a walk to Cleator to see Harry and Ida. Back in Castle Craft, we had supper and Margaret and I played shuttle cock before we hit the hay."









No comments:

Post a Comment