Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Week in the Life of Elder Telford with Transfers, Tracting, and a New Companion

From Jim's Journal, Monday, April 11, 1938, So. Shields:

"This morning I was out to write to Gwen and then go over to Sunderland to see Pres. Oates. . ."

Tuesday, April 12, 1938, Sunderland:

"Pres. Oates woke us up and I had a shave and breakfast and he drove me into the town. I made the train to M'bro [Middlesbrough]. In M'bro I was met by the Elders . . .went to see about the hall for conference. Linthorpe Assembly Rooms . . . was booked. We then went to So. Bank for lunch . . .then went to the station to take a train for Sunderland and then on to So. Shields."

Wednesday, April 13, 1938, So. Shields:

". . .After breakfast I started to pack things to-gether preparing to go to So. Bank. I didn't know I had so much junk until I started this. Finally everything was in order and I went to say 'Au revoir' to Mrs. Burns and Sis. Fudge. And so to Sunderland. . .before going to M'bro to M.I.A. with the Elders. After we went to M'bro and So. Bank. . ."

Thursday, April 14, 1938, So. Bank:

"Elder Pennock and I went to the hall and town to do some shopping and go out to his grandmothers. . .After our lunch we went out tracting and over to see a Bro. Bland. We had tea there . . . At the lodge we found a transfer for Elder Palmer to go to Burmingland. So we started him packing. . ."

Friday, April 15, 1938, So. Bank:

"Today is hot cross bun day, and a legal holiday for everyone in the blinkin' country. So we lay in for awhile . . .then after we had shaved and eat [sic], we went and played a game of tennis and billiards. . .came home to write Pres. Brown, and go to bed. Another day."

Saturday, April 16, 1938, So. Bank:

"After our usual routine duties this morning, Elder Palmer and I were away to a train, after calling at the police station and post office . . . arrived in Sunderland to go to the game. Pres. Oates and I had a rare old time of it, boxing and scuffing about. We saw Leeds and Sunderland fight to a no-score tie and then went to tea . . . had a flat tire. We fixed it and then went home to change it over. . ."

Sunday, April 17, 1938, Sunderland:

"Out and shaved. We worked on the car for a while then had our breakfast, and saw Elder Palmer away. At noon we were on our way to Newcastle to meet Bro. Wappett,and call on Bro. Finaly. And finally on our way to Carlisle over the Roman road to Sis. Wallace's for tea, and then to the Branch Conference. We, Kearl, Dunn, Weston, Oates and I, spoke and then had friendly chats with all the folk . . . We drove thru Hexham, and to Sunderland . . . Another day is done."

From Jim's Letter, April 25, 1938:

"[T]oward the end, [your letter] turned out to be questionnaire sent out to test my I.Q.
rating, you know something like we used to have in the study hall at Granite. So if they really meant something to you, here goes:

1. If you were to arrive here in Newcastle district, you would immediately become matronly Sister Wagstaff, to even me, your fiancee. . .

2. I have a companion now. J. Albert Pennock of Salt Lake. . . .

3. My double quartet floundered: no interest of the good people in So. Shields.

4. Still too cold to do any bathing in the ocean yet.

5. Bryson should make a fine S.E. in Wales if he learns one or two things before it's too late. He will be released in July.

6. My English sweetheart is fine and is old enough to come out to Salt Lake now. Should I bring her home with me?

7. I'm in So. Bank now, near M'bro, and from where I live we can see nothing by steel mills and smoke. Something like Magna over here. Smoke, dirt and slag mounds. . .

" . . . This week is our conference week. Thank heavens. Pres. Brown will be here on Saturday afternoon to marry a young couple in the hall at West Hartspool. That is how far the church has come in the last few years. It has not been so long ago that the Latter-day Saints were not allowed to perform marriage ceremonies. But, gee, there is a lot to be done even now. . . Latter-day Saints at home have lots to do as well to make themselves real Saints like there are here in this land. Back home we take all things too much for granted. Over here they cherish the church and value it very high. . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment