Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mission Conference in Preston and Rochdale

From Jim's Journal, Wed. July 28, 1937. Preston to Rochdale.

". . .We rode a bus out of Preston to be on the rode to Rochdale. There we made a ride to a place out and around Blackburn. Then after we walked a short distance a truck brought us to Manchester, so we waited until he had unloaded his lumber, and rode with him to Royton. We rode a tram out of Royton and a bus into Rochdale. . .At two P.M. we had our first Elders meeting, President Cannon presiding. It was great to see so many fine Elders all together. When Pres. Cannon called for those who hiked, then those who did not hike, those who did not certainly were booed and hissed."

Thurs. July 29, 1937. Rochdale.

"We were up dressed and went down to a breakfast of bacon and tomatoes bathed in grease. Then we took ourselves to the Hall and into a meeting and a discussion on the Millennial Star. . . Pres. Brown [Hugh B. Brown] spoke to us again, he had spoken to us on Wednesday afternoon, and found his way into every Elder's heart in the hall. We then went for lunch and a malt again, before returning to a second meeting and testimony meeting. An Elder's testimony meeting is one of the finest things a person can attend for truly the spirit of the Lord is there and can be felt. Each person who talks is so humble and sincere in his talk and actions."

Fri. July 30, 1937. Rochdale to Preston and return.

" . . . We met at the town hall and in chartered busses went in a caravan to Preston, where the Gospel had been preached one hundred years before. The caravan took us to Vauxhall where the first Mormon missionaries preached in England for the first time. Then we went to the cookpit and lodge where they stopped. At the Vauxhall Chapel I spoke to and shook hands with Pres. Grant and Clark [Pres. Heber J. Grant and J. Reuben Clark]. We then went to the bank of the River Ribble where we held an open air service and unveiled a plaque commemorating the first baptisms one hundred years before. Our open air service was a success and everyone enjoyed it. Back in our busses we returned to Rochdale and to the cafe for tea. We, Robison, Blanch and I, had tea with Pres. Brown and Bishop Taggart, and again found Pres. Brown to have a rare sense of humor."

Commemorative Millennial Star, which includes the program celebrating 100 years of Missionary Work in England


Sat. July 31, 1937. Rochdale.

". . . Elder Cannon and I went down to the town, had a drink, bought me a tie and out to his lodge for him to shave. . . After tea we went to the Town Hall to see the Pageant and there I met Leila who had come over from Middleton. We could not get in, so we had a talk out in the park about church, Salt Lake, home, and parents and family. She is nice to talk to and very interested in what she has heard about the church and what I have to say about it and the truth of the matter. We talked quite late, then went to the town hall where I made her acquainted with several of the Elders. Then I saw her to the bus and on her way home. I returned to my own lodge and called it a day. And so to bed. Tired and happy. So far our conference has seen nothing but success and I know it will continue. . . I had a letter from Gwen this morning and in her letter I found the same sweet, lovable Gwen that I left at home. Something tells me that she will be there when I return to Salt Lake. For truly she must love me, if what she tells me is true. And now I am in love with her and when I return, I hope to find her there, that we can enjoy the plans we have for the future. For truly and sincerely do I love her.
"This ends the first seven months of 1937 and what I call my mission. My testimony is stronger, my desire to serve is greater, my faith has not wavered. 'So, Carry On.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment