Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Jimmy Stewart Look Alike?

From Gwen's Letter, July, 26, 1937--

"Dearest Sweetheart,
Have you ever walked down the path leading to your home and been almost afraid to go in for fear you'd be disappointed when you walked straight for the buffet and didn't find what you wanted to find so much? Well to-night I started down Welby--I ran at first then stopped suddenly and said 'Now, Gwen, you know what an awful person you are when you look forward to a letter from him and then you don't find it' so I took my own advice and walked slowly while I tried to make up my mind what I'd do if I didn't get a letter but whoopie I got two and was I ever thrilled but, honey, here's a secret, I was twice as thrilled when I opened them and read them. Honestly, Jim dear, I don't believe there's another fellow who can write such grand letters as you do. I just sit and read them over and over and then I have to hurry and get a book or go for a walk or something to get my mind off the fact that I want you here so much.

" . . . Mary and I just had to go see 'Born to Dance' because the lead was James Stewart and due to the similarity of two certain fellows both named 'James' we saw it and kid my heart just fluttered all over when I saw him because honestly he is like you in more ways than one."



While on his mission, Jim was often told he looked like Jimmy Stewart

". . .You asked me to put you on the carpet now as a husband so here goes. My picture of you as a husband in 20 years (Take it with a grain of sugar)

1. Your one outstanding failing will be my hats. Right?
2. You'll say 'Gwen, for goodness sakes why can't you cook like Mom.'
3. You'll hate cats. . .

5.You'll probably wear out that little black headed fellow's train and ruin little blondie's doll by playing with them so much.
6. You'll snore.
. . . but you'll be the best husband I've had on the carpet yet and I feel sorry for all these other girls who can't have a husband just like you."

1 comment:

  1. This post gave me butterflies :) I love picturing grandma talking to grandpa like this!

    ReplyDelete