Thursday, June 3, 2010

Meeting Uncles, Aunts, and Cousins for the First Time

From Jim's Journal, Mon. June 14, 1937. So Shields. Egremont

.
" . . . I took a train to Newcastle. I took a tram out to the Fox and Hounds and then started to hike toward St. Bees and Egremont. I made one ride from the "Bank," to the junction, and from there a ride in a truck to Carlisle. Walked through the city and out on the road again and made three rides to Prospect and then had to resort to a bus to Whitehaven and Egremont. . . I had wired Uncle Harry of my coming and I arrived there at 8:20 PM and was met by him. [travel= approx 115 miles] If my own father had met me they could never have been more alike. It was easy to recognize him, but the others were very difficult. Aunt Eleanor, Margaret, Eva and Millie. Harry and his wife. We had a nice long talk about my folks and St. Bees and what thirty years has done. . .It has been a fine day. A easy trip, and its swell to be with some people you have heard so much about but have never seen before. So as sleep came over me, I felt to thank God for the blessings I am receiving."

Tues. June 15, 1937. Egremont and St. Bees


" . . . I went to St. Bees in the afternoon. I called on Uncle Bill first and the way Edith looked at me one would think she was seeing ghosts. But they made me feel very much at home and each in turn, Aunt Sally, Aunt Annie, Chris and all the girls [were] very sociable. Later in the afternoon I called on Aunt Rebecca and after a fine visit with her I called on Sarah Telford. I met people who had known Dad and Mother and each of them had a good word for them."

Wed. June 16, 1937, Egremont and St. Bees

" . . . I went over to St. Bees and Uncle Bill's. Uncle Bill took me to the Methodist Church that Dad used to attend then left me at Aunt Rebeccas. After tea, Chris, Rowland, and Edith and I went for a walk down on the beach, over Tomlin and to Kesick Bay and St. Bees Lighthouse.



Thurs. June 17, 1937. St Bees and Egremont

". . . I wrote a letter to Gwen and after breakfast we, Edith, Rowland and I, went for a walk around the town. Here I went into the school Dad attended, and into the church he and Mother were married in. Then we went down on the beach and walked back that way, to Sea View, where we had lunch. . . I rushed over to Egremont to dress for the wedding of Bill and Belle. The wedding was solemnized in the Castle Methodist Church. . . I was asked to toast the bride."

Fri. June 18, 1937. St. Bees--Egremont

" . . . I cycled over to St. Bees, to call and say 'Goodbye' to the folk[s]."

Pictures of The St. Bees Lighthouse and Methodist Church

No comments:

Post a Comment