Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 19 !!

From Gwen's Letter dated June 13, 1937--

"Dearest Jim,
I'm surely glad of a June 19 because if there had never been a June 19 I wouldn't have the picture I requested. I was plenty happy to finally receive it. I really began to believe you were never going to send it but now I have it so I won't be a beefin' Bill anymore. Please wait a minute though while I beef just once more. OK, here goes. I think the photographer didn't make you as good looking as you really are though but, nevertheless I'm plenty glad to have it and also to know that you still remember our June 19 just as you always remember our anniversaries. I say there old chap if I may say so I know jolly well you'll make a toppin 'usband. Now wouldn't that knock ye fer a cocked hat by jove. Gee, honey, I wish you were here at least for June 19. I guess I'll have to go up Lambs [Canyon] all alone or if I can't do that I could standout by the roses and watch our old moon come slowly over Mount Olympus and be with you in spirit."


Proofs of the Professional Photos Jim had taken in England


From Jim's Journal, Sat. June 19, 1937. Egremont to So. Shilelds


"Four years ago today, I kissed my only sweetheart for the first time. Today I wake up and Eva and Margaret came in and we talked and then said goodbye for the time being. Then I had my breakfast and at ten Uncle Harry and I went to Whitehaven. He saw me on a bus to Workington and then I hiked to Maryport. It was starting to rain so I bussed into Carlisle and took a train to Newcastle and So. Shield where I arrived at 5:30 P.M. Had letters from Gwen and home, . . . wrote some letters and a glorious week was ended. I have had a fine time. The country over there [St. Bees] is beautiful and the folks [did] all they could to make me feel at home."

From Gwen's letter, June 20, 1937--


"My Dearest Sweetheart,
With all my heart I can say you're the grandest man in the world, the most thoughtful and the best prospect for an ideal husband. Jim, dear, I mean every word of it. For two weeks I waited anxiously for a letter. Your picture came to thrill me and then as June 19 came closer and closer I hoped so much that I'd hear from you on or before 'our' day because you and only you are the one I want to be near on that day. Well finally on June 19 I got not only one letter but two. Mother and Dad met me up town and I was swept off my feet. Yes, right there on Main Street when she handed me your letters. We went to a show after that and I just couldn't wait to get home and read those two long looked for letters and they were both perfect. I could have bawled I was so thrilled and happy to be engaged to such a considerate, romantic and grand fellow. Sweetheart, I love you so much that sometimes two years seems an eternity and yet almost 1/4 of the time has slipped by. When we got home from town I had to fight with myself to keep from crying all over everything for there were your roses.
Jim, they were beautiful. Our symbol so fresh and unblemished. Darling, I can't tell you in words how wonderful you are but I feel it so deeply that I wouldn't trade being engaged and expecting to be married to you for anything in this wide world and that's right from the heart. Mother also told me she thought you were about the most thoughtful man she'd ever known and Dad was radiant over your letter to him . . .

" . . . Our mission in life is going to be a glorious one, sweetheart just because I'll be with you working and living and just because I love you so much. Here's kisses and a fond embrace from your sincere sweetheart of 1933 and years to come. Gwen."

No comments:

Post a Comment