Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Changes and A Perfect Summer Day

From Jim's Journal, Tues. Aug. 24, 1937, So Shields

"We had our class, song and prayer and then I helped Bro. Blanch make ready. After he had cleaned up his stuff I started and packed. We are leaving 44 Salmon Street after six months here. . .saw the other Elders, Blanch and Hart off to Middlesbro and Bryson and I returned to carry my trunk over as well as several other things, and my new home is in 92 Ocean Rd, So. Shields. . .Geo. Bryson of the Central Park Ward is my companion."

Sat. Aug 28, 1937--

". . .Bryson and I enjoy ourselves pretty much as companions, so I know that when I and he are home we will have some good laughs."

When asked to "Describe a perfect summer day," Gwen wrote:

"Dad's alfalfa crop covered the west field edge by Mill Creek and Wandamere Brook. It was so peaceful and attractive. The twin calves, tied to the same rope, grazed in the alfalfa. . . and I sat leisurely in the porch swing dreaming of the day . . . when Jim would return from his mission to England." (From "Reflection from a Mother's Heart," 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment