Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Working, Surviving, and The Great Depression . . .


Jim as a young man

In his life history, Jim recollects,
"My working life has been fruitful. I have never drawn an un-employmnet check. At the same time my earnings have been respectful. I came through the 'great depression' years when pay was as low as $42.00 per month; 35 cents per hour. I worked at this financial level because it was the best available, as three (3) out of five (5) workers were out of work, on relief, or dependent on some sort of program. Since I had to work, earning the means to sustain myself and eventually a family, I have taken many mundane, dead end jobs. Being a newspaper carrier is the usual starting job for young 'men.' I delivered for the Salt Lake Telegram, Deseret News, and the Sunday edition of the Salt Lake Tribune. The difficult aspect of this endeavor was to collect the monies. No one had any money, but everyone wanted to read, "all about it." I did have an area to deliver in, and did so on horseback. While riding my horse one evening, she stumbled, broke her ankle, and had to be destroyed. I was devastated.

"I caddied at Nibley Park. I had a 'steady,' who golfed every Saturday afternoon, and Sunday mornings. He paid me $1.00 per 18 holes, and loaned me his clubs so I could play on Mondays which were caddy days. From this I gained an appreciation for golf, which I played well into my adult life.

"Being of good stature, physically, and being fifteen years of age, I was hired as an elevator operator in the Beason Building, 25 East 2nd South Street, Salt Lake City. This proved to be akin to the Bible story of Daniel in the lion's den. I went from a sheltered life to the jungle. The real facts of life came out of the wood work, to let me into the sordid side of life. I tried to go to school and hold onto this job which eventually proved too much. On top of the hood of need, I soon became the only one in the family with a job. My salary in these depression years was soon reduced to $42.00 per month. That went to keep our family afloat. Mother took the money, put it to the benefit of all, and we made out and kept this job until December of 1936, and even though I was scarred, I was unscathed by the environment. Of course, I became acquainted with many fine people and even dated some of the girls who worked in the offices, so all was not lost."



Jim having fun at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment