Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sports, Entertainment, and Fun . . . in the 1930s


Gwen as a teenager with friends


Gwen recorded that, as a child, she ". . . remember[s] sleigh riding on the hill east of our place. It was great fun." In the summer, "we played around the street light. [The] games [included]: Kick the Can, No Bears are out Tonight, Hide and Seek, and Run Sheepy Run. There was no TV or radio to spoil our fun" (italics added).


In his history, Jim reflects,
"In my growing years, I played baseball, ice hockey, golf, rode horseback, went fishing in many streams, and enjoyed skiing. Never totally proficient in any one activity, but acceptably able to perform well enough to be sought out by many friends.

". . .I associated myself to a group of husky boys, who enjoyed skiing. We would go to Ecker Hill, the Utah Ski Club. There we could slide the hill, ski jump, [and] go cross country."

Gwen's memory of skiing, however, includes this entry:

"Jim took me up Parley's Canyon one winter to learn to ski. I had on overalls, galoshes, and [a] stocking cap. We side stepped up the hill. I started down but fell immediately. I'll never forget how my face stung as it slid, nose first, down that hill. I gave up skiing quickly" ("Reflections from a Mother's Heart," entries by Gwen Telford).

No comments:

Post a Comment