Sunday, May 27, 2012

International Relations in Europe=War?

From Jim's letter, September 15, 1938:

"My Dearest Gwen,

Oh, if you could only be here now. At night, when the air is cool and crisp, and the feel of it makes you stand straight and walk fast, and a moon peeks out from behind a misty cloud to throw it's light to the earth below, my mind runs back to one September 12th, just before you were to return to school. But the days are warm and pleasant for the sun shines, the trees are dropping their leaves, and the flowers are hanging their heads, the country side is being painted by a master and I am reminded that under these conditions we used to have a drive into the mountains. So you see darling our going together, and our love for mutual things, took us into such a variety of places that even over here you are a part of it all. And I hope you will always be the same in the future.

". . . No, I don't kick in my sleep. I do enough in my waking hours.
I love you. Will you marry your Sincere Sweetheart, Jim."


From Jim's letter, September 20, 1938:

"My Only Sweetheart,

Another twentieth day of another month, and incidentally this is really number twenty of a once eternity of a mere twenty four. Or, we only have four more to go before we can say one of our greatest dreams has become a reality and then we are going to go to work on even a greater dream and ideal. Do you know which one that is?

London Times article dated Wed. Sept. 21, 1938
". . .You know over here we are very nearly into a chasm, caused by international relations on the European continent. All the folk seem to want to talk about is the possibility and probability of a war. But what is the attitude and opinions of the folk and papers at home[?] Over here the papers are too conservative in what they give to the general public. Why don't you send me a paper some time? Would you like one of these that we have to read?

". . .Well Sweetheart, even though twenty months have come and gone and we have gone through many changes, one thing remains true. That is my love for you and the sincere desire to make you my own, as soon after my return as possible. After we have been so patient and have waited for so long, it seems to me we deserve it. What do you and your folks think? You may know it, and again you may not, but my own people, at home, think you are the only girl in the world. Even the ones over here seem to know you as their own. They are all coming to our wedding, so we should have a real crowd of relatives.

"Well darling, I really must close this lousy letter, and go to bed. It's late and morning comes too soon as it is.

"So darling, here is my love for you and a kiss, the expression of how high I hold it. Love me, as I love you, Sincerely,= Your Sweetheart Jim."

No comments:

Post a Comment