Sunday, June 3, 2012

Meeting Jim in New York? and the Worry of War

From Gwen's Letter, September 11, 1938:

"My Dearest Sweetheart,

. . . What will you do when you get home and find that you no longer have to write letters. Gee, honey, it seems like half your and my life have been filled with writing letters to each other. Just think from 1933 to 1939 is six years and truly almost half of that courting was done thru letters wasn't it. I can't wait until some cold stormy night when we're cozy and snug together before an open fire reading some of our many letters to each other. Wouldn't that be fun to see in letters how we changed from kids to older kids and from mere acquaintances with dignified 'Dear Jim' to intimate lovers [?]

". . . Last night at the Old Mill was the stake gleaner dance. I asked Lenny to go but it was his girl's birthday, so Stan went with me and Lenny brought his girl. I wasn't going to the Old Mill with anyone but you, but since Berdine and I had to do the entertaining and since I could go with a Telford (the nearest thing to you), I finally decided to go. . .that Lenny has developed into a darn good dancer. It must be a talent with you Telfords. . .We were both recalling memories of other nights at the Mill and in the midst of it all I saw a fellow dancing just in front of us and, darling, he looked so much like you it made my heart almost stop for a minute. He was your height, had hair and features like yours, and danced so smoothly, just like you. Well right then and there I realized how wonderful, how unexplainably satisfying, it would be to go with you again.

Gwen with a friend (Berdine?)
". . .Oh, Jim darling, I was so glad to read in your letter that you wanted me to come back to meet you. I thought perhaps you would rather I didn't, but now I'm really going to do everything in my power to get to come back and meet you. The prices for round trip on the Challenger aren't bad and I'd love a trip like that, and I know Berdine would too. Oh, honey, I'm so excited about it already I can't wait. Do you think we could make arrangements to meet without fail in New York? Oh, if we only could and then if I knew which train you were returning on I could come back with you. Oh, kid, think of the fun we could have seeing those places to-gether. It really would be worth it don't you think so? Would you be able to let me know a little ahead of time just when you would land and all? Maybe I couldn't see Europe with you, but I could surely see the United States with you. . .What makes me feel bad though is that your folks probably want to come just as badly as I do, and if I go do you think they might feel that it is kind of unfair and selfish on my part [?] For a while I thought maybe I could coax dad to drive back and take your folks too, but he says he couldn't possibly get off work at that time of the year.
Union Pacific's Challenger

". . .I hope you're still planning to tour the continent, Jim, that is if they aren't having a war in Europe by March. I'd surely like to see you go see all those wonderful places. . .

". . .Here's to our love, our success, and marriage in the temple on June 19, 1939. Oh, darling, that would be glorious. Now goodnight sweetheart and did I tell you I love you more than anything in this world[?]

"Your Sweetheart, Gwen"

From Gwen's Letter, September 26, 1938:

"My Only Sweetheart,

. . .What do you hear concerning the war over there? Is England really planning to join France against Germany? What difference does that make in your work? Are they really drafting a million young men in England? Well, I guess by the time you read this letter war will either be on or off. We hear so much about it. Almost every fifteen minutes over the radio they announce something concerning it. Oh, kid, I hope Hitler and Mussolini fall down and break their necks or something.

David O. McKay with  Pres. Hugh B. Brown
"Darling, I was surely thrilled to read about the success of your conference and I could have cried when you told me how you were so happy and thrilled to stand and speak before that audience. Isn't it wonderful what missions can do. You must have worked hard to interest 230 people over there. I'm surely proud of you and you bet I've got the account of it in your mission scrap book. From the way you describe President Brown, honey, I would surely love to meet him and be acquainted with him. It's good to have such men as ideals and guides in your life, and with such high ideals Jim, I'm sure you will become as wonderful a man as you set your goal to become. As for me from my acquaintances, I believe I want to be like David O. McKay still, and as for a woman ideal I would aim at Sister Wood. Have you ever heard her speak? She's young and blonde and so full of enthusiasm. She and her husband are now presiding  over the West German mission. . .

". . .Berdine and I are still planning for New York in the spring--that is if you come home. Wouldn't be any fun to go if you decide to stay, but darling after your tour, please hurry home as fast as you really want to.

"So long and remember I love you always.

Your Sweetheart, Gwen"




No comments:

Post a Comment