Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hitler and The Worry of War


From Robert Telford's (Jim's Dad) letter, Sunday, September 18, 1938:

"My Dear Son,

Robert and Charlotte Telford
I greatly fear that when you are reading this letter there will be a state of war in Europe. The aggressive attitude of the Nazi's in Czecho-Slovakia in their determination to become incorporated in the German Empire and the admirable determination of the Czech's to keep the boundaries of their country just where they are, together with England's vacillating and weak policy toward the whole situation, have created a problem which in  my opinion can only be settled in war. If it must be war then it may as well be now as later. If that mad man in Berlin and his equally mad sattelite [sic] Henlein think that they can realize Kaiser Bill's dream of world dominance, then now is the time to call their bluff. Hitler is depending on his bluff. He knows that war means his doom, and notional suicide for Germany. If Chamberlain could muster enough courage to say to Hitler, and say it with a very significant smile on his face "Don't be silly" the impression and conviction conveyed would jar Herr Adolph worse than the impact of a bullet. Enough has happened already to justify Hitler in carrying out his threats to take the Sudeten Territory by force if necessary, but he isn't doing it. He won't do it until circumstances into which he has forced himself, and from which he cannot back out, force him to fight.

"Well, what am I telling you all of this for anyway, you know as much about it as I do.

Letter and writing sample of Charlotte Telford (Jim's Mother)
"A report has just this moment come over the radio to the effect that Britain and France have agreed that a plebiscite is the only solution to the Czech problem. In the first place the Czechs won't accept it. In the second place, if they do, they may as well hand the disputed territory to Hitler on a silver platter. Well, we haven't had a letter from you this week, I guess you are pretty busy. . .

". . .I want to write a letter to your Uncle Harry and one to your Uncle Bill today, so not having more interesting news for you and wishing to avoid sermonizing at this time I will close. Your check for $35.00 has gone forward and will now be in your pocket. Please tell me how you are faring on this amount and what you have on hand, how your suits are, and if you need anything extra. We don't want you to get shabby or to want for anything.

"Gwen was in and spent a couple of hours last night. She comes in quite often for a visit and we really enjoy her. In fact I don't know what we would do without her. Oh, by the way, when you write to Len you had better address your letter to the new edition of Fred Astaire, same address as usual. Len is now dancing instructor in the ward with Gwen as his partner. So we have changed his name to Fred. His is proud of his job.

"Best respects to everybody over there and kindest regards to you,
 From yours affectionately,
Dad"

From Robert Telford's letter, Sunday, September 25, 1938:

"My Dear Son,

As I start to write I suddenly realize that I have not very much on my mind that I can put into my letter. Naturally, the predominant thought in one's mind is the condition of Europe as it relates to peace or war there. It crowds out of the mind any thoughts of a great many other things, and in spite of every effort to the contrary, remains paramount.  ___________________________
I stopped writing to listen to the International Radio Broadcast of World News during which a flash from London came over saying that the Czechs had notified Chamberlain of England that Hitler's latest statement of conditions giving them to Oct 1st to evacuate the Sudeten area are unacceptable. Unless Hitler backs down this means war. I fail to see how that braying ass can back down now without losing his prestige with his own people and with the rest of the world, and by the same token I see no way to avoid war. Let's hope for the best.

Letter from Jim's Father (Robert), Sept. 25, 1938
"We had Gwen in last night practicing a dance with Len. Len had his young lady in here too, so don't get upset about Gwen with him. He is too infatuated with his own little Dutch girl to have any eyes for Gwen. The little Dutch-ess is quite a sweet little thing . . .

". . .I haven't had a letter from your Uncle Tom Gate yet. Maybe I stumped him with my letter on administration to the sick. Have you ever talked to him about that letter? Rather, I should say, has he ever mentioned it to you? . . Knowing these old non-conformists local preachers as I do, I am mindful of the fact that their knowledge of the bible is limited to a few tenets in the New Testament which apply to certain conditions of salvation . . .I know that it is hard to get these old duffers to change their minds or even get them to think a little on the possibility that there might be something more to the plan of salvation than they already know. So you just have to be patient with them, and realize that you cannot change a lifelong conviction with a single argument, especially when that conviction has been the basis of a man's moral and spiritual attitude and conduct throughout his whole life.

"Tuesday morning, 10:15 o'clock a.m. A radio broadcast has just come in stating the U.S. government has advised all Americans to leave Europe immediately. As this includes England I may as well stop writing because if the governments advice is heeded, this letter will not reach you there, you may be on your way home anytime. So until further developments, I will send our very best regards and am as always,
yours affectionately,
Dad"





No comments:

Post a Comment