Friday, May 11, 2012

Gratitude for Opportunities, Blessings, and People

From Jim's letter, August 1, 1938:

"My Only Sweetheart:

. . .My word I wish you were here with me right now. Today is an English holiday, and right now 7:30am it is a lovely sunny day out, and we could have a real lovely time going up to Scotland on an excursion train, or down to the sea side to lay on the sands and dream dreams of our future. However be that as it is, our day will not be too far ahead of us now. . .Can you realize my darling that it is eighteen months and twelve days since we last saw each other? But better still that it is only seven and one half until we shall see each other again. What shall we do that first night at home? Talk? Movie? Dance? Drive? . . .

Photo capturing the Dominion Monarch's size
"We had a very nice week last, seeing some things that I shall never forget. Over in Newcastle there is a cathedral and in the coloured glass windows they have portrayed the life of Christ. One window in particular took my fancy, and you as a student of art would really have appreciated it more than I. Then as a lark and merely on chance, we went over to a ship yard on the Tyne and by making ourselves known we saw the launching of the largest ship built here since 1907. 13,000 tons of steel plate, 650 feet long when completed will weigh 27,000 tons. The lady who broke the champagne on her (the ship) nose, had merely to pull a wire and away she went. Gee until you stand along side of one of those boats, you can never really realize there immense size and tonnage. But I know ships don't interest you so I'll not go into more detail. . .
QSMV (Quadruple Screw Motor Vessel) Dominion Monarch, launched at 3.30 p.m. on the 27th July 1938, by Lady Essendon. . .The Dominion Monarch was the largest ship built on the River Tyne since the famous RMS Mauretania in 1906. (http://www.oceanlinermuseum.co.uk; photos from http://cruiselinehistory.com)

"Well for a week or two now we are through with our conferences. We had one in Gateshead last night. . .the real high light of the conference came when they gave me a seven week old baby to bless. The little rascal was as cute as a new doll, so we gave him the name George William Brewiss. . . Gwen I think of the opportunities that have been mine over here, some I never would have had at home. I thrill and feel to thank you for your sacrifice, my parents for theirs, and Our Father for His calling me. Really it has been grand and still is for that matter. But a mission such as this, for twenty-four months, is but a school to prepare a person for a still greater mission in life, that of serving in the still greater calling of marriage. There are scriptures to bear out my statement but why bore you with such things. . . So darling, given this opportunity I have come to you to ask again for your hand in mine and together lets fill our mission of life. . .Say you will.

"And now I send my love and undying affection to you and for you alone.
Sincerely Your Sweetheart,
Jim"

No comments:

Post a Comment