Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Serious Question and Looking to the Future

From Gwen's Letter, August 28, 1938:

"Darling,
. . .'Sir James' before we proceed any farther with this courtship by correspondence will you answer me unflinchingly one very important question. I'm convinced that my whole future well-being depends on it. By rights, I really should ask Elder Howard or one of your former companions this all important question, 'Do you kick or talk in your sleep?' If you do I'm very afraid we'll have to install a petition when we get married. The last week and a half I've been having a nightmare of time. Mary Elaine has been staying with us and although I'm crazy about that kid in all other ways, she's not so hot as a bed partner. It seems that I'd just doze off into sweet slumber and 'Bam!' right in the middle of the back and when she gets in the land of nod she can really kick. Next time I'd doze off she'd sack me on the nose with her elbow. By this time I'd move over a couple inches and try again. Then in the mysterious stillness of the night I'd wake up with a start to hear an awful groaning and gnashing of teeth and then she'd shout a whole story of jumbled lingo that sounded like a fish market full of China-men eating mush while they gossiped wildly. But the last straw was when I finally fell asleep over on the perilous edge of the bed hanging by the extremity of the springs and she gave me another lusty kick. Wow but it was hard to believe she was so cute and sweet all during the day. And now as I write this letter after a week and a half of wrestling nights, the circles under my eyes are so dark and large that they're practically hanging to my knees and my brain feel[s] like the barrel on a merry-go-round, so, honey, do you blame me when I ask you in all sincerity, do you kick or talk in you sleep?
A copy of the monthly Millennial Star
". . .'Supervising Elder Wm James Telford,' you're getting to be a big shot aren't you? Every Millennial Star that comes lately tells of how you were a featured speaker at some meeting or how you blessed a baby and confirmed or baptized a couple. Kid, it's hard to believe that you're really you and doing all these wonderful things. I'm so gal dern proud of you that I'm saving every clipping I find that even mentions your name. Darling, truly our prayers are answered and dreams do come true. I only hope you won't let that dark head of handsome hair up there expand at all. Are you still keeping from being spoiled?
One of the articles Gwen clipped and saved from the Millennial Star
 ". . .Sweetheart, now you can imagine how excited and happy I am when I realize that the time is so short that you're even beginning to send some belongings home in advance. That's just like when you see the buds on the trees you know the spring isn't far behind. And the best part of it all is we've weathered the storms, the rocks and all obstacles and if we can just get safely in the harbor now  we'll meet again as the old Gwen and Jim, deeply in love and yet also a new Gwen and Jim with more experience, greater patience, more understanding and very, deep purposes.

". . .Well, honey, soon school starts and then Christmas comes and then spring and you. I can't wait. For now I must be patient and try to just write you and say here 's all my love.

Your Sweetheart,
Gwen"

No comments:

Post a Comment