Friday, January 27, 2012

Advancement, Operas, and Lonliness

From Jim's Journal, Tues. February 15, 1938:

"This morning I received a letter from Pres. Brown appointing me the Supervising Elder of the Newcastle District, and suddenly I realize how incapable I am."

From Jim's Letter to Gwen, March 8, 1938:

"My Sweetheart,

Try as I have, I have never been able to fully realize how fortunate a man I really am, until your last letter came to me last Saturday. Any man can attain worldly fame and wealth, gain many friends in life. But, how many men can really say they have found real genuine devoted love given to them by a real fine, and sincere, woman? I believe after reading your last two letters over, at least half a dozen times, darling, that I can say that I am one of those fortunate few. Each line on line seemed to bring a very personal message, meant for only me. . .

"Say, while I have it on my mind, let me thank you for the pictures. The one taken in the garden of you in the brides maids attire is a beauty, and I can see you haven't changed any at all. In fact you seem to be even nicer than when I saw you last. And say, was that a ring on your finger that I could make out? . . .

(Picture: Gwen's engagement ring from Jim)

"Last Sunday, we held our convention in M'bro, for the branches of the south end of the district. Gee, it was a thrill to see our hall filled to capacity with Saints and friends. It was the largest congregation that I have ever spoken to, and I was not as scared as I should have been. We had one for the north end in Sunderland, but because of the flu I was in bed and unable to be there. . .And there I stayed for three days. But, under the kind care of Kearl and Dunn, I'm A 1 again. Sis. Fudge had a dream that I would be ill, and in her dream she was told to take care of me by a lady with dark hair. I was showing her some snaps, and she saw the lady again. And who do you suppose it was? Well, surprise of surprises, it was your Mother. Feature that. . .


(Picture: Gwen's parents, Ray and Vere Wagstaff)

"So, you have met my old pals, Robison and Cameron, have you? Well, they are two swell fellows. . .Bro. Robison is real and genuine. Bro. Cameron has a heart like his body, and we had some tall times together up here in So. Shields and Sunderland. The inference made by my friend Irene was of course, "A.C.& R." (after Cameron and Robison left) and "B.K." (before Kearl), so my head refuses to swell.

". . .Gee one night last week Bro. Kearl and I were thrilled beyond expectation. We were in Newcastle to see the play "The Desert Song" and gee darling, it was wonderful. . . I tell you over here we are [too] fortunate. We are able to see the operas and all these famous stage plays, and in Salt Lake they only have them once a year. Gee, if you can, some time go and see the Desert Song, you'll love it.

"Well I am surprised to hear that a returned missionary is better than he was before he went away. I wonder to what he attributes his success. Maybe it is the fact that for two years he does not go out with a lady, and in that time he learns to appreciate their company and their affections. I know I certainly have learned a greater love and devotion for you, than I seemed to have before. My love goes beyond merely the physical aspects and down into the spiritual, soul satisfying love. . .I'm lonely for you Gwen. I want to lay with you under a pine tree, to watch the squirrel in the tree, to listen to the water fall over rocks in the stream bed, see the birds fly about and feel your hand in mine. . .I want to talk with you, confide in you, tell you my souls desires, and have you tell me yours.

". . .I wonder if you see and know that we only have another year to be away from each other. Only another year. Boy oh boy. . .

"My love to you my sweetheart, from your sweetheart,

Jim

XXXOOO
(may I?)"

No comments:

Post a Comment