Friday, January 20, 2012

Conference in Bradford & Gwen's 22nd Birthday

From Jim's Journal, Wed. Feb. 9, 1938, Bradford:

"After we had our breakfast, Bro. Walker showed us through the mill and then we went via tram to the meeting. . . We had a very beautiful meeting in the evening, one I shall never forget, and one in which (65) sixty five persons bore testimony. Pres. Brown spoke to us, and I'm sure that in him anyone finds the acme of the personality. Immediately after, we spent the time chatting and then said 'good-bye' till we meet in June."

From Gwen's Letter, Feb. 13 & 14, 1938:

"My Dearest Sweetheart,

Darling, I'm about the luckiest girl there ever was and yet sometimes when I get blue I don't realize it but after a day like yesterday I know that we have cloudy days just to make the sunny ones seem brighter. Kid, I was so thrilled first with that lovely valentine you sent me. It just about made me cry--the verse was so grand . . .and then Saturday your picture and the birthday card came and they were just what I needed to really bring me out of the dark cloud and into the light again. I don't know of anything I'd rather have had, kid, than that picture of you because a picture is the nearest thing I have to really seeing you and now I have four framed pictures of you in our front room so when any of the girls from the office visit me they really see you in every corner of the room. Thanks so much, kid, your love means everything to me. . .

"My birthday was swell and would have been perfect if I had had you here. Your folks tried to make up for your absence by giving a party for Max, Mary, Mom, Dad, & I in honor of their wedding anniversary and my birthday. They're swell to me and I love them for it. Your mother even gave me a present which I really didn't expect her to do. It is a lovely pair of Japanese pajamas to run competition to your cossacks. You wait and seen them. For dinner we had Julie and the kids, and Janiel and Mont had a great time blowing out the candles on the cake. They wanted to eat the whole cake in about two minutes to find the hidden fortunes. Janiel got the button, but Mont just couldn't find the penny or the wedding ring.

(Picture: Gwen between her parents and with family)

". . .The Bishop talked to me last week about you and he told me you meant three yeas when you asked if you could stay another year. I guess I misunderstood but, kid, if that's what you want to do most of all, I won't stand in your way. . .It really would be grand for you to be able to stay over there three years because I know you must enjoy it plenty. Maybe it'll be March, 1940, huh?

". . .Now, honey, I must wish you a happy Valentine Day and stop before the clock strikes half past bed time. Goodnight, kid, and I promise to be a better letter writer . . .

"Loving you sincerely. Your Sweetheart,

Gwen

(XXXOO)"

No comments:

Post a Comment