Saturday, February 11, 2012

Moonbeams, Mental Telepathy, and an English Cottage

From Jim's Letter, April 7, 1938:

"My Dearest Gwen,

. . .Even after these many weeks your letters mean so much to me, and they go so far toward making my work so much easier. . .

"Being Supervising Elder, Gwen, isn't so hot. You have to worry along, make too many reports, and try to keep smiling at the same time. And with my fellow workers 35 and 70 miles away from here, I certainly feel alone in a vast void of space. I still have no companion, and believe me it can be darn lonesome in a room all by yourself with nothing to do but read, write and make out a report of one kind or another. When I get through over here, I'll certainly be a full fledged C.P.A., historian, and statistician all rolled into one. But hang it all I enjoy it, and the work affords a good deal of added opportunity that I wouldn't have otherwise, and I never say 'no' to an opportunity.

"Last week I and Elder Palmer went out to Carlisle again for our circuits and to stay over the week end. We had a very nice trip, in rain a good deal of the way, but never the less it was fun. . . We had one ride with a young couple who appeared to be madly in love with each other. They were very nice to talk to, and do you know, they took us into a saloon and bought us a drink. The 'pub,' as they are called over here, was really a nice quiet place and clean as well as decorated nicely. They had antique furniture and various old guns, and swords of a by gone day to interest any Yankee sightseer. Oh, I might add that Palmer had a real lemonade and I a grapefruit.
"Gwen honey, how would you like a home built on the English style. . .Over here they have such quaint little homes, and they are so cute and cozy, and one built out in America would certainly be different, in comparison to what is the usual thing out in Zion. I will take a snap shot of one sometime and let you see one for yourself and see if you like them.

(picture: An English style dream home?)

". . .You once said in one of your letters that memories aren't as stong as they could be, but darling, I beg to differ with you. A person's memories can be and are strong, and worthwhile if you really want them to be. . .In your letter you told or your moon coming up between the peaks of Mt. Olympus, and asked if I could see it. I'll say I could see it--every shaft of a moon beam throwing itself down on to us, on the cat, on the lawn, or in the porch swing. . .

". . . Sometime when you are listening to England over the radio, remember please that there is such a thing as mental telepathy. I know from now on I'll be thinking of you every time I hear a radio.

". . . And now I must close to be on with some other work. Remember me darling? I'm the guy who loves you so much and so sincerely that I can never get you off my mind. Please love me the same way.

Sincerely
Your Sweetheart,
Jim."

No comments:

Post a Comment