Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Love for the Work . . . for Fourteen More Weeks

From Jim's letter, October 8, 1938:

"My Darling Gwen,

. . .I would imagine my letters must be rather boring to you, in a comparative way. For example, all I can write about is my life and my work, and my love for you. My work from day to day is much the same, and you already know my life and where it is centered, and my love for you never changes, so each letter must be pretty much the same. So by simple deduction you must get as tired reading my letters as you used to get when I told you in a spoken word and then proposed to you. Gee you certainly must have got a big laugh out of me and my weekly proposals. However, if I had you here, or if I was there, I'd do it again. Would you accept this time instead of saying 'after your mission'? But I love you and I want you to marry me. So there. And I won't change my story.

"And say, 'peanuts,' would you ever want me to change? In your letter I thought I could detect a wee bit of skepticism, and I want you to know that if it were here, New York, or Chicago, I could embrace you and still say 'My Gwen.' In my opinion you are the finest young lady and the most beautiful in Salt Lake. The best is none too good for me, so I aimed high and I got the best. And that's my story and I'll stick to it too. Gee, but I'm wondering if you could still look at me and only say 'My William.' That's all I would want to hear, because I would know what you meant. Remember the chewing gum wrapper?

"We have so many sweet memories and so many ways of our own of saying, or expressing our love, that in every act or word of my days work I am reminded over and over again of you. So you see darling, you did become a part of my mission and a real vital part as well. And I am glad.

". . .My word Gwen, can you fully realize that we only have fourteen weeks left of this mission. It certainly is surprising how quickly the weeks flit by and away into months. . . I'm certainly looking forward now to my arriving in New York again. And I hope you'll be there to meet me. . . "

From Jim's letter, Monday, October 24, 1938:

"My Darling,

You think of everything, and sometimes even me. Last week was my week of weeks, and I'm so happy when your letters come. I'm twice as happy when two letters come, and your card made me want to work real hard, complete my job, and hurry home. . .

Elder Jim Telford (right) with another missionary
"Last night I was in Sunderland on circuit, for my Sunday, and gee it was a swell meeting. Such a fine spirit and feeling in it, that even with having to speak I enjoyed it. Something came over me and I wanted to shout from the housetops that what I have to teach is the truth. Nine months in this work has done me a world of good, and sweetheart, I'm proud to say that you and my mission share my love, you and I share my mission, my mission and I share you. Each day brings me some new experience to teach me something new. Each day teaches me to love you more and I don't care if you get tired of reading of my love for you in my letters, because I'll go on writing it and telling it as long as it is real. . .

". . .And now I am to lose Bro. Bryson as my companion. Our conference over and our usual Elders meeting with Pres. Brown resulted in his transfer to Wales and he will leave me in about one week. I saw two of my associates off Friday, to Salt Lake. They may call to see you when they arrive and again they may not. If they do, you will fine two fine fellows . . .

". . .my thoughts are ever of you, and my prayers that our ideals may ever stand as a beacon light to our future. Praying for our future together, and loving you sincerely, I am, devotedly your sweetheart,

Jim
(XXO may I)"


No comments:

Post a Comment